Categories
Wellness

Why My Son Will Outlive Me

Being a father and raising a child together is a challenge, no doubt. But the one thing all parents dread is having to tell a little person that they’re not worth anything. Fortunately, researchers have found that for a little person the greatest tragedy is not having parents or a grandparent that are no longer around to see them accomplish their dreams.

When I was an educator (I’m not sure of your level, but that is more of a teacher than an educator), my first daughter was born and went through a number of life events that we have all endured at some time. That’s normal. She was born at the height of the Cold War, and so the challenges of raising a baby while the world was at war were many. That was not why I’m writing. I’m writing because our child’s child is almost eight years old and she has no problem understanding that the world is not going to end on November 6, 2012. I’ll take it. I know you’ll take it too.

We have heard the term “the Rapture” thrown around, a biblical prediction that the world will somehow end on the morning of Dec. 21, 2012. Some believe it is for the elect and others believe it’s just people looking for a reason to get out of work. Whatever. It is real, people; it’s happening. I have to tell you, it’s not all about the rapture.

Let’s look at the numbers… 

1. More than 1 in 10 American Christians is now evangelical. That is not a typo. For a couple of million years we’ve been making the world into the place we want it to be.

As for those that believe that we are living in the End Times, there is no indication of this anywhere, nor of the rapture. What you see are the people that are living right now as they really are and no one’s changing them.

Here is an interesting statistic: Only 9 percent of Christian churches in America actually believe the Rapture is true, and this includes many people that claim to be devout believers. Of these, only 4 percent have actively predicted the end of the world with biblical data. These are the churches you want to know about.

2. Nearly one in five births in America is now to an atheist.   This is good news.

For decades in America the numbers in families with no children has been rising, and now it makes up more than a quarter of all families. This new group will be joining the ranks over the next decade; the number of births to those with no religious affiliation is expected to triple between 2000 and 2030. The majority of these atheist newborns are single parents and many in the study are under 31. Some in their 20s. The question is, are these people being selfish in not going to Heaven or are they looking for a reason to stay in this world?

3. Nearly one in three Muslims in America today grew up as a Muslim. That is a lot of kids.

I would suggest that most Muslims in America were raised in homes where they were encouraged to pray five times a day, to fast during Ramadan and to say two prayers every Friday. Those days are over, and many of them are not. If you don’t worship the same God you grew up believing in, how can you hope to have this one belief trump everything else?

4. Only about 10 percent of Americans know the true name of Jesus.

A recent survey by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life says that only 10 percent of Americans know the name of Jesus while the other 90 percent have no idea.

5. Half of the children in our country are now born out of wedlock. That is the lowest percentage of any industrialized nation; in the world.

I don’t see that increasing dramatically with the growth of the atheist movement in America. If this trend continues it will mean that at the current pace we will have almost nothing in common with our children in the next two decades, and they will be living in an unbalanced world.

6. Teenagers are now the most educated generation in history. Many of them don’t know what marriage is.